The Kashmir discovery - Part 1

The mighty Pir Panjal range came into vision, and I knew I would be safe. Kashmir was as much an internal journey for me as it was exploring the rough terrain.

At the Srinagar airport, I quickly pulled up the sleeve-less jacket I'd carried along with me and went out into the cold air - one that entered my lungs straight and filled me up with hope. "ठंड नहीं लग रही आपको ?" Are you not cold? - a valid question from the prospective drivers that I would engage, each of them curious about my minimalist dressing there in a 7-degree C weather. I shrugged, engaged a cab, and reached the bus-stop from where I would really commence my journey. Old and young men hung out in their oversized pherans, each hiding the warmth of kangri underneath. I was jealous - they had the luxury of ambiguity while I remained the cynosure of curiosity because of my clothes (or lack of it!) in a non-tourist season.

I had been asked on the way to the bus-stop, where I was heading to. "Gurez", I said. Most of the locals in Srinagar seemed to have only a vague idea of the place. One who did know a bit warned me that if it snows, I would get stuck there as the roads would be blocked under 10-feet deep snow. I hesitated. But just for a minute. My inside egged me on, and I silenced the mind.

Now, as I stood waiting for the bus, my confidence faltered. But the same helpful guy called me suddenly, enquiring if I'd found the bus. "पहोंचो तब बताना" - Let me know once you reach. Well, I had to reach then!

Comments

Popular Posts